Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thoughts on Agahozo-Shalom


What’s happening here at Agahozo-Shalom is truly something special. Everything is special, from the kids, to the friendly gardening staff, to the short and long-term volunteers, to the Rwandan counselors who are dedicating their lives to rebuild Rwanda. “This youth village is not only unique to Rwanda, it’s unique to the entire continent of Africa”, said the director of philosophy who we talked to on the first day. No where else are troubled youths being brought together to live together in such a tight nit community, to build, learn, and create a future. This year will be the first graduating class at Agahozo. Everyone is watching intensely to see where these kids will go. They have the skills to go far, but can they do it? I think so, and if they don’t become anything short of doctors, at least they have become better and more educated people.

 And honestly, I’m proud to be a tiny part of this tremendous effort to support these kids. Looking back at High School, I remember the help that I got from each individual, teacher, and friend, and how that helped and encouraged me. Each person played an important rule in supporting me, through the good things that happened, as well as the bad stuff. My teachers inspired me, my guitar teacher taught me how to express myself, my parents helped me with everything, and my friends were there to have fun with when things got too serious. One month ago some of the kids here had had no support group, until they arrived here at Agahozo-Shalom with maybe a small suitcase, or just the clothes on their backs. Now that they’re here, they do have the support that they need, but they could always use more. I had everything I needed to succeed, so why shouldn’t they. They need a guitar teacher, a tutor, and especially a friend. That’s me, that’s why I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment