Monday, January 23, 2012

Bat Yam Is A "Five Star City" (According to the ads at bus stops)


 Walou (wow in Hebrew), Bat Yam is so much fun! Upon arriving one week from Tuesday, I quickly realized that our apartment is everything that people had made it out to be and more. There is one main living room with two couches, tons of space, and a giant window with a beautiful view of Rishon Litzion and Holon. I am living with four other roommates, one of which is an Israeli scout, who is taking a year before the army to volunteer and live with Year Coursers. It is great having our own space in a regular Israeli apartment building, and I really enjoy the independence.

  So far I have spent a few days of my vacation in Bat Yam, which has actually been a nice opportunity to get used to the city. Bat Yam is a lower class heavily populated city next to Tel-Aviv-Yafo, with a lot of character. It is home to many immigrants (Olim), especially Russians. The city has the diversity of the Bronx or Brooklyn, with a coastal city feel.

Here are some interactions I’ve had with the city over the past few days:

The Neighbors: I was leaving my house for a run, when I heard a knock on the door. I opened the door to find a dark skinned boy and his mother staring up at me. The boy gave me some laundry from last semesters Year coursers, and explained to me that they had been getting tutored in English by the boys whose laundry I was holding. The boy spoke English well, but spoke to his mother in a language I could not identify. The mother then told me in Hebrew, that she wanted me to tutor her and both her in English once a week, and if I new grammar well. When I said yes they seemed very excited, and the boy put my number in his iphone.

Note:  This could be a great way to directly help some new Israeli citizens, and will improve my Hebrew.


 Surfing on Hannukah: Surfing is definitely part of the Bat Yam culture, except I don’t really have a surfboard. I found a tiny surf shop with Hanukah candles glowing in the window, and went in to have a look. I explained to the owner that I wanted to rent a board, even though I didn’t have a wetsuit, and didn’t need one because I am used to surfing in very cold weather. After the second day of renting from this religious surf shop owner, he gave me his owner personal wetsuit top, and gave me ten shekels off. I guess not many people are renting surfboards in BY right now, but what a nice guy!

Skateboarding in the Super Deush parking lot: I was walking back from doing some shopping at The Super Duesh with my skateboard in hand, when an Israeli guy hailed me down and asked to ride my board. I tentatively gave him my board, and watched anxiously as he zipped around the parking lot. To be honest I was a little scared he was just gonna take off with it. He gave me back the board and started talking excitedly and quickly in Hebrew, which means there is no way I could understand him. He then stopped talking and kindly asked “do you speak Hebrew well?” I told him that I’m learning. He then spoke much slower, and told me that his friend was buying a Sector 9 skateboard in France for him, and that mine is really nice.

 Bat Yam is a cool place, with a lot of interesting people. The stereotype that Israelis are often rude and impatient can sometimes be true, but when it comes down to it they are a kind and caring people. Especially in such a diverse place like Bat Yam, get along with all types of people is important. 

Our makeshift clothesline aka the posterline


Great Beach!...And because it's winter it's just the Russians and I out there everyday sipping vodka and swimming.


No comments:

Post a Comment